Life in Florence

I have been in Florence for about a week and a half now and I think I have finally settled in. I am starting to get into the rhythm of life in Florence. 


Living in cold weather is certainly an adjustment (I know it could be worse, at least there is no snow, but can we talk about the static in my hair?). It took me a few days to figure out my heating and the perfect temperature in my apartment, in celsius that is. My Ikea run this past Saturday was difficult (I went by bus, #neveragain) but worth it. I finally have everything I need and my apartment is so adorable. I promise to share pictures later this week. I also love my neighborhood in the Santa Croce area. It has everything I need but isn't noisy, crowded, or touristy. 


Most mornings I head to the gym with Anna and once a week I treat myself to a training session with the amazing Daniel. Beginning this week, I will head to the archive on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to immerse myself in the documents. Tuesdays and Thursdays I will work from home, managing the archive's social media (feel free to like our FB page!), writing/answering emails, reading articles, and processing the research I gather while in the archive.


I make a point everyday to wander around the city for a bit. Florence is small and enchanting, and strolling this remarkable city is definitely my favorite pastime (I also love hiking up to Piazzale Michelangelo). I typically spend my evenings dining with friends or sipping prosecco with Anna. Tuesday nights are my favorite because that is Mexican aperitivo night at our favorite local bar (the beans and rice and fresh guacamole are amazing).


Speaking of food, I am sure you all are wondering how I am doing on my new diet (I hate calling it a diet... lifestyle? eating habits?). I have actually been quite successful! A couple of times a week I head to the local market and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies to snack on. When dining out, I opt for red pasta sauces and pesto, or my favorite Ribollita soup (which is just beans, veggies, and bread). I also love picking up fresh whole wheat bread and little "focaccioni" from my local bakery. These little delights are just fresh baked focaccia bread topped with veggies--peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach, etc. So yummy! I have also replaced my daily cappuccini with espresso, although I indulge in one or two cappuccini a week. Overall, it hasn't been nearly as bad or as difficult as I expected.


Ciao for now!

Labels: , , , , , ,